Thursday, March 22, 2018

Chapter 17 Starting the New Year (03)

The magic number for bragging rights is 100 hours a year. Of course, this is only for non-commercial pilots who fly strictly for fun. The higher the number, the more bearable are the fixed costs of flying (hangar rental, insurance, etc).
After the Angel Flights, the weather turned bad. Cold, wet and windy. Always at least 2 of the three. The day after Christmas was decent, cold but clear and not too windy. But we were to spend the day with my daughter. Friday was nice, but we were to spend the afternoon and evening with friends. Saturday was gorgeous, but that was the day set aside for Christmas for the Redhead's family. All other days continued the 2 out of three pattern, so I closed out 2002 with 99.7 hours in the log.


Just another hamburger


New Year's day was yucky. But the forecast indicated that Saturday or Sunday might be decent. As that was a "might be decent" we made no plans, just sat around cultivating cabin fever. Saturday dawned cool and clear with the forecast for increasing winds in the PM and Sunday to be very windy. It was Saturday or not at all.
We launched at 11:30 for Sherman and gas. Tanks full, we pressed on into gusty winds to Ardmore. The airport cafe there closes at 2:00, and we arrived at 1:30 in the middle of a group who apparently had the same idea we did. The cafe there makes a very good hamburger, with or without cheese. We ate among a group that included 2 men in a beautiful Commander, a couple in a Cessna, and a young CFI and a Late Bloomer on an instrument training flight in a Warrior.

The flight back to Aero Country was calm and relaxing, and we both noted that for the first time in a long time, there was a clearly defined horizon. We could see the buildings of Downtown Dallas from over Lake Texoma.

A closer Walk with Patsy Cline


The old Opera House on Granbury had re-opened early last year and several productions were of note. We just never had a chance around other trips to go. They started off this year with "A Closer Walk with Patsy Cline", which we had missed last year due to its short run. It started Jan 7 and was to run through March 2 this year. Surely we would have one weekend we could make it in that time.

By Friday Jan 17, the weekend forecast was looking good. Saturday would be cold (high of 53), but Sunday should be clear and into the low 60s. Saturday morning, I made reservations for the Sunday Matinee. We decided to take off about 11:00 and fly "the scenic route", down the east side of Dallas and west across the south side.

We launched at 11:10 and departed to the southeast, clearing the 800' tower 2 miles SE of Aero Country. Leveling off at 2500', we found the air to be very smooth and the visibility absolutely unrestricted. We planned to remain outside (under) the Class B airspace, but I was monitoring Dallas Approach. Once, I heard a reference to a VFR aircraft at 2600' which may have been us, but otherwise, we mostly had the air to ourselves.

We flew south just outside of LBJ and SW over the Lancaster airport. Continuing SW, we went to Midway Airport, just NW of Waxahachie and turned west. This took us over Midlothian and about halfway between FW Spinks and the town of Cleburne. By this time, I could see the Lake at Granbury and aimed for it. When we got closer, I discovered that we were aimed at the lake well south of town. A minor course correction brought us right across the airport westbound. We descended and entered the right pattern for 14. Unicom was reporting the wind as 12G19, variable from 220-270. That's great! Gusts from 80 to 130 off the runway!

To make matters worse, I turned base and realized that the wind had moved me closer to the runway and was a direct tailwind on base. As a consequence, I was way high turning final. Hang all the flaps out, pull all the power off and slip into the wind. I leveled out only a little high and fast over the numbers and touched town, and touched down, and touched down.

We taxied in and I secured the Mouse while ogling a beautiful Cessna 190. After the obligatory potty break, we picked up the FBO car and headed for town. We parked on the square and picked up our tickets. Our first selection for lunch wasn't open, so we went to Plan B and ate at the Pasta House, diagonally across the corner from The Opera House. The Lasagna was good, but a little heavy on the garlic and fennel. Sandra said the fettuccine was great.

The opera house has an historic marker on the building and has a 220 seat hall. We were in the next to last row, but that was only row I, so any seat is a good one. The lady playing the title role had gotten rave reviews last year. Jessica Lange, who played Patsy Cline in the movie, was a little less substantial than the subject. Julie Johnson, playing the role here is a little more substantial than Patsy was. The big difference is that Jessica Lange didn't do the singing in the movie, Julie Johnson did. And did, and did, and did. Her voice, unamplified, shook the back wall. She had the range, sound, phrasing and cadence of Patsy down perfectly. Several of the songs, notably "Railway to Heaven" and "Crazy", brought a lump to my throat. I heard a number of sniffles and coughs during the encore "Just a Closer Walk with Thee", including my own.

The performance ran until 4:15. We had hoped to run over to Glen Rose and pick up Sandra's camera from a friend of hers, but the FBO closes at 5:00 on Sunday and we needed gas. Also, it would have put us after dark leaving. So we cancelled that and headed for the airport. After putting in some gas, we fired up and taxied out. We were fourth in line behind a Warrior, a straight tail Bonanza and a Mooney. The wind is now up to about 15k, but nearly straight down the runway.

The Piper and the big Beech got off, but the Mooney and we had to wait on a skydiver to land. We took off and headed northeast from the right downwind. It was so clear, that we could see the buildings of downtown Fort Worth, 15 miles away and the skyline of Dallas 40 miles away. Again, the air was extremely smooth. This is a path we have flown 3 times now, so Sandra finished the Sunday crossword puzzle and took a little nap while I flew up the west side of Eagle Mountain Lake and then NE over to Denton and east along 380 back to Aero Country.

McKinney was reporting 180@12, but I nailed the descent rate and approach speed. The landing was a squawk from the stall horn followed by chirp, chirp as the mains touched the asphalt. A perfect end to a beautiful day, we were pushing the plane into the hangar as the sun dipped below the horizon.
Thus completes our circumnavigation of the DFW class B airspace. 2.3 hours total in the logbook.

Angel Flight #3

I plan on doing between 8 and 10 angel flights in 2003. That means about one every 6 weeks. As the last one was Dec 19, the next one should be end of January, first of February. Checking the schedule, I see the Marshall patient on it for January 30. That sounds about right as Feb 8 is the Special Olympics Auction and the week before that is too busy for breathing, let alone flying.

The week started with marginal weather, forecast to get worse and maybe be back to marginal by Thursday. By Wednesday Afternoon, the Thursday forecast was less than marginal, a pilot had not been found for the flight in from Marshall and the appointment had been rescheduled for Friday.

Friday, While hazy, was good, with a slight wind from the northwest. The inbound pilot called from bizjets at 11:30 and said The patient had just left for the medical center and should be back about 3:00. I had already showered, dressed and eaten lunch, so hit the road to Aero Country.

Open up hangar, preflight, roll out and close up the hangar. Then to Sherman for gas. I entered the pattern on a left base as a Cherokee announced 10 miles out on a straight in to 34. I didn't see him. But he could see me and advised that I should be all right ahead of him. I made a lousy landing, but still made the first turnoff. At the pumps, I stuffed the tanks as full as I could for the 4 hours of flying ahead of me and pulled the mouse out of the way so the Cherokee could fill his.

Then off to Love Field. ATIS advised to expect 31R for VFR arrivals. After clearing into Class B, I was routed south and further and further east. Last time, I had literally flown straight down Preston Road and turned right to Love. This time I was almost over Central Expressway when I was turned right. Straight down Mockingbird and into a right base to 31R. Landing in front of a waiting Lear, I made a beautiful touchdown and the A1 exit. On the exit, I called ground and was advised to wait for the Lear coming down the taxiway. I cleaned up the cockpit while waiting and as he went by, I heard Ground clear a Beech Jet out of bizjets. Was I going to have to sit here and wait on him also?.

"Four Lima Bravo, turn left on Alpha, I'll put you on someone's ramp to let the Beech Jet go by."
"Roger, Four Lima Bravo is turning onto Alpha."

I made about half the distance to bizjets before turning into another FBO's ramp. I sat there while the Beech Jet went by, a Lear turned off the runway and headed south on the taxiway and a Citation came out of the other side of the FBO and headed south. Talk about being surrounded by fire breathing dragons!
I pulled into bizjets at 3:00 sharp. Went in to use the facilities and check out the snack bar. There was a call waiting for me when I walked in. They were making sure that I was going to be there as the patient was already on his way back. We were in the plane ready to go at 3:30.

This time, the guy on Clearance Delivery wanted to hear the exact and proper wording. I had to request clearance 3 times before he would deal with me. We finally got it and then permission to taxi from Ground. We take off and climb out on 340, turning to 090 at 2000' on our way to 3500. Over Garland, we are cleared to our cruising altitude of 5500' and settle in for the ride.

There is some haze, but with the sun behind me, it isn't too bad. Besides, we will be inbound to the Quitman VOR and then outbound until we cross over US259 North of Longview where I will start my descent. Only 2 traffic advisories the entire trip. Over 259, I ease back on the power and start my descent. The patient is sleeping like a baby. As I glance at him, I notice something strange in the corner of my eye. When I look behind me, it looks like solid cloud cover behind me. I've got to fly back this way in an hour, what gives? When I look closer, it is only the now very dense haze with the low sun directly behind it. I can still see the ground directly below and behind me.

The patient awakes just as I announce entering downwind for 33. I make another almost perfect landing and taxi up to the FBO/Terminal. He calls his Aunt while I go potty (water the same bush). Some guy comes in about 15 minutes to pick him up and I saddle up. Get my charts arranged neatly, check my flashlight (The cabin lighting casts a shadow on the fuel and oil gauges, so I need the flashlight at night.) and lay out my "in-flight meal".

I take off shortly before 6:00 with visibility to the west nearly non-existent. The sun is just touching the top of the haze layer and I can see the ground only about 15 degrees out from straight down. Why did I take off into this? Simple, I will have a good horizon above the haze and will be flying inbound to the Quitman VOR and then outbound from there. By the time I am much west of it, the sun will be down and the visibility will improve markedly. Also, the haze itself will diminish further west.

I call up Flight service and close my Angel Flight flight plan and open the flight plan back to Aero Country. Then I call up Longview center and ask for flight following back to T31. Settling down at 4500', I open the pack of crackers and eat my snack. As the top of the sun goes below the haze, I notice that the haze layer (from the left) dissipates directly ahead and the horizon ahead to the right seems to be much lower than the horizon ahead to the right. The haze ends right at my flight path. By the time I am over Lake Fork, I can see all of the lights from downtown Dallas north to McKinney.

About 7:30, I make a decent landing at Aero Country, hangar the Mouse and go home to dinner.

Practice, Practice, Practice.


The Special Olympics Auction on the 8th, eats up the first week in February. It was it's usual success, but a lot of hard work for those of us who put it on. By Monday, I have about recovered and since the weather is supposed to be good, I plan to go flying on Tuesday.
Weather is as promised, so I eat lunch and head for the hangar. I fly up to Sherman for gas and make my by now obligatory bad landing on 34. As I taxi up to the pumps. They are pulling one away and another one up. Three planes at the gas pump? Every pilot in North Texas has apparently decided to fly today. After filling up, I head over to Grayson County for some landing practice.

I become one of 3 planes doing touch and goes and there is another out to the north practicing instrument approaches. Yes, every pilot in North Texas is flying today. After 3 decent touch and gos, I do a full stop and taxi over to Fightertown FBO. It has recently been purchased by a person I have "talked" with on the AOPA forum, but he isn't in. I walk over to the F86L tied down on the ramp. It is in beautiful shape except it has NO engine.

I saddle up and take off again, heading for home. As I turn final at Aero Country, there are 2 planes waiting to take off and another coming down the taxiway. Under these circumstances, can I buy a good landing? Get real. As I get it back under control after an impressive bounce, I hear, "Twaaang! ........ How's it going Bo?" "I always save those landings for when I have an audience."